04.02.15 YOUR CAREER: HOW TO STAY MARKETABLE

My coworker thought it'd be funny to take a picture of me leaving with a Bankers Box full of my things. Yes, that is a yoga-cat calendar. And yes, that's a massive bag of mini eggs...

In a previous post I talked about how I quit my job. For those of you who don't know, I was an assistant buyer for a big retail company. I spent three years there, and I can't say that it was an easy decision to quit. It's hard to realize that you're on a career path that you don't really want. It takes a lot of soul searching, but I finally got there. I realized I wanted to go back into marketing (what I studied).

Before I was applying for jobs, I worried I wasn't relevant anymore. Why would someone want to hire me? My work experience was specific to buying. How do I get myself into the career I want?

HOW TO STAY MARKETABLE WHILE CHANGING CAREERS:

ONE. Make the most of your current position, even if it isn't what you want. Get as much on your resume as you can. Keep examples of your projects, and their results. Leave a lasting impression on your coworkers and bosses. Chances are you will need a reference from someone some day.

TWO. Volunteer your time. Do freelance work if it's appropriate. Get experience in the industry you'd like to move into. I was lucky that I did some volunteer marketing work for a friend's business (Castellammare Jewellery). My new employer found this very interesting, and it was probably one of the biggest drivers for me getting the position.

THREE. Focus on your transferrable skills. If you don't have a lot of experience relating to your dream job, what useful and relevent skills and abilities did you develop? Make sure to highlight these, how you were able to strengthen them, and how they can help you in your new position.

FOUR. Further education. Going back to school isn't always fun, but employers love to see that you're keeping your education current. This is a tip from a friend of mine - she does a great job taking courses and getting certificates to enhance her career and skill-set. How far are you from your dream job? You may only need a course or two, or you may need to invest more time. It depends on where you are and what kind of education is expected for the position.

Anything is possible. If you're unhappy in your current job, there are opportunities everywhere. You just need to have faith, stay positive and keep your eye on the prize. I promise, it's worth it in the end.

1 comment:

  1. Great tips girl!! Its always scary moving from one place to another, but I think keeping yourself relevant, even if its by volunteering, is a fantastic tip. Thanks Lady :)

    ReplyDelete

.post-body img, .post-body .tr-caption-container, .Profile img, .Image img, .BlogList .item-thumbnail img { padding: 0 !important; border: none !important; background: none !important; -moz-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important; -webkit-box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important; box-shadow: 0px 0px 0px transparent !important; }